Rwanda’s most environmental-friendly companies will today, Friday September 16, 2016, be awarded at this year’s Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production Awards (RECP Awards). This is the second time the annual awards- the country’s highest honour for green industries- are held.
The awards recognise the best performers in resource efficient and cleaner production technologies among industries located in the Lake Victoria Basin in Rwanda.
Companies under the Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production Programme (a component of the Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project – Phase Two) were evaluated based on a set of criteria, including:
- The consumption and use of resources such as energy, water, and raw materials, as well as point-source pollution reduction
- Management commitment to clean and environment-friendly operations
- The company’s openness, benefit sharing, compliance with effluent standards as well as corporate social responsibility, among others.
The best performing companies, selected among 22 participating industries, will be awarded in the categories of water use, waste management, waste water management and energy use.
“Rwanda aims to be a middle-income and green economy. It is imperative that the private sector is at the heart of these efforts and contributes to this vision. These awards are a demonstration of the government’s commitment to green growth and we hope they will inspire all companies across Rwanda to go green,” Rwanda’s Minister of Trade and Industry, Francois Kanimba, said.
The Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) Programme aim to enhance the efficiency of resource consumption (energy, water and material) and reduce pollution from industry. RECP technologies reduce the costs of production, limit environment degradation by minimising waste and reducing the pollution intensity of industry and improve the competitiveness of industries.
The inaugural awards were held in April 2015. At the time, seven industries were awarded with Sulfo Industries being the overall winner.
About the Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production Programme
The Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production Programme is championed by the Rwanda Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production Centre with funds from the Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project - Phase Two.
RECP Programme awards aim to raise awareness and encourage businesses to adopt efficient and cleaner production techniques. This includes by increasing environmental performance and reducing costs of production by minimising waste and increasing competitiveness.
About the Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project – Phase Two
The Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project - Phase Two is a regional project, implemented in the five Member States of the East African Community. It aims to address the social, economic and environmental impacts of environment degradation in the Lake Victoria Basin and targets all those who live in, and depend on the natural resources of the basin. In Rwanda, the project is implemented under Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA).
Awards Ceremony Programme
- When: Friday, 16 September 2016, from 3:00pm to 6:00pm
- Venue: Lemigo Hotel, Kigali, Rwanda
- Followlive on Twitter:@RwandaTrade , @LVEMP2_Rwanda and the Hashtags #RECPAwards & #RECPAwards2016
- Jonas Muhawenimana, Public Relations Officer, Ministry of Trade and Industry, on +250 788 587 819 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jean Pierre Bucyensenge, Communications Specialist, Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project – Phase Two, on +250 783 810 145 or at email@example.com.